Chicken Kiev Recipe
Delicious Herb Butter Stuffed Chicken Breasts
A seriously delicious Chicken Kiev Recipe taken from a classic French collection of stuffed chicken breast recipes. The boneless chicken breasts are stuffed with a delicious herb and garlic butter, then crisp coated. Also known as , the crumbed and stuffed chicken breast is so magificent to present and impress guests with your gourmet abilities.
More for the enthusiastic cook, it's not an easy chicken breast recipe. It does require quite a bit of preparation but it is very decadent and the process is staggered so you could prepare more than you need and freeze the rest for later use.
The ingredients for the Chicken Kiev Recipe are pretty much everyday things that with a bit of effort produces a great dinner. The Stuffed Chicken Breasts are shallow fried in the pan and then finished off in the oven. This slightly reduces the amount of fat used for cooking.
Chicken Kiev Recipe Ingredients
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, with the mini fillets attached
- 100g/4oz plain flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 200g/8oz fine dry breadcrumbs
- Sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges and watercress, to serve
FOR THE BUTTER
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Small handful parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 2 springs tarragon leaves finely chopped
- 50g/2oz butter, softened
- Squeeze of lemon juice.
How to make this Chicken Kiev Recipe
- To make the herbed garlic butter, tip all the butter ingredients into a bowl and season with salt and pepper to your taste. Combine the ingredients well then tip onto a sheet of cling film and roll into a log. Refrigerate until hardThis can be made up to 3 days in advance or frozen for up to 1 month
- Work with one chicken breast at a time. Lay smooth-side down and remove the mini fillet. Make an incision down the middle of the fillet half way into it to make a pocket. Careful not to cut all the way through the meat. Lay a piece of cling film over the breast and using a meat mallet or rolling pin, flatten it out slightly. On another part of the board bat out the mini fillet lightly.
- Divide the butter into four for the four chicken breasts and squash into flattish discs. Stuff each of the pockets that you made with a disc of butter. Cover each cut with the mini fillet and fold the sides of the breast over it. Set aside.
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into their own separate, shallow containers. Working methodically, completely coat each stuffed chicken breast in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, then dip back into the egg and finally again in the breadcrumbs. Set aside. The chicken can be prepared the day before and left in the fridge or frozen for up to 1 month – defrost completely before cooking
- To cook, heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat a decent layer of oil in a large frying pan and, once hot, turn the heat down to medium. Fry the Chicken Kievs for 2-3 mins on each side until dark golden. Lift them onto kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil then transfer to a roasting pan. Cook in the oven for 20 mins or until the Kievs feels firm when prodded at the widest part. Serve immediately with the lemon wedges and your favorite side dish.
Did You Know:...The Chicken Kiev Recipe was was invented by the Frenchman, Nicolas François Appert.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
is a variation of the Chicken Kiev, stuffed with tangy cheddar and good quality ham. A classic French Chicken Recipe.
Chicken Recipe Search Tool
If you can't find what your're looking for, you might want to try our easy-to-use Chicken Recipe Search Box. You can also use it to find anything else you might want to search for on the wider web.
Pancetta Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
Chicken Kiev Recipe
Great Chicken Recipes Homepage