Chicken Casserole Recipe
Delicious Chicken, Sage and Parsnip Casserole
From the Chicken Casserole Recipe Collection, this chicken, sage and pasnip casserole is one of my favourite ways for cooking chicken - especially in winter when we all need a bit of warm comfort food.
Casseroles are popular for making food go further and great for feeding large numbers of people. If you're not particularly fond of a certain ingredient then leave it out or swop for something else.
I also like to add some chopped mushrooms, they go well with the cream. You can use a reduced fat cream if you prefer. The casserole serevs well with rice but my favourite is mashed potatoes and my kids don't eat rice so mash gets made more often than not.
The recipe takes a bit of extra work with the blending of the cream and pan juices at the end - using a handheld blender is very convenient though if you have one.
Chicken, sage and parsnip casserole ingredients
- 15ml olive oil
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 sprigs of thyme, plus a little extra, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of sage
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 500g parsnips, quartered lengthwise
- 400ml hot chicken stock
- 60ml fresh cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- mashed potatoes or fluffy rice, to serve
Chicken Casserole Cooking Instructions
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Lightly brown the chicken on all sides. Do this in batches to ensure that the chicken seals properly and doesn't only steam.
- Return all the chicken pieces to the pan and add the thyme and sage.
- Place the leek, shallots, carrots and parsnips on top.
- Pour the stock over, cover and bring to a simmer. Leave to stew for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and gently simmer for another 15 minutes to allow the juices to reduce slightly.
- Remove the chicken and all the shallots, and most of the carrots and parsnips, leaving 4 - 6 pieces of each plus the juices in the pan. Using a hand-held blender, process these vegetables and the juices together.
- Add the remaining sage and the cream to the pan, and return the chicken and vegetables. Heat through without boiling and season to taste.
- Serve with buttery mashed potatoes or fluffy rice.
Lovely chicken recipe that uses sage:- Chicken Pasta Recipe with Bacon and Sage
Grilled Chicken Recipe IdeasMore Chicken Casserole Recipe IdeasMore Delicious Baked Chicken Recipes
More Chicken Thigh Recipes
Top Of This Chicken Casserole Recipe With Sage and ParsnipsChicken Recipes Homepage