Delicious Chicken and Broccoli Recipe
I am sure that almost every family has a favourite Chicken Pie Recipe. My Chicken Broccoli Pie Recipe was handed down by my great grandmother's best friend. I added the Feta cheese ingredient as an experiment and it worked well so I kept it in.
This Chicken Pie is rich and full of flavour. A sure hit for dinner on a cold winters evening. Of course I know that many of you don't love making the pie crust pastry from scratch. You can use a ready-made biscuit mix if you like or a ready-made puff pastry that just needs to be rolled out. Just be aware that a biscuit dough rolled into balls and placed on top of the filling is sometimes not cooked through.
You may already know that in health circles, broccoli has the status of 'superfood' and has numerous health benefits. I have discovered that my family is far more likely to eat broccoli in a pie form like this than if I just serve it to them on the plate.
Chicken Broccoli Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 750g cake flour
- 3ml salt
- 3ml paprika
- 250g (1/2 lb) butter, cubed
- 500ml (1/2 litre) sour cream
Chicken Pie Filling
- 500ml water
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots peeled
- 1/2 celery stick, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 6 skinlesss chicken breasts
- 400g broccoli, cut into florets
- 125g butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 75ml cake flour
- 450ml stock
- 100ml fresh cream
- 50ml fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 50ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200g feta cheese
Chicken Broccoli Pie Recipe Instructions
- To make the pie pastry: - Pulse the flour, salt and paprika in a food processor.
- Add the butter to the seasoned flour and process until it resembkles bread crumbs .
- Mix in the sour cream to form a dough.
- Lightly knead the pastry and chill for 20 minutes.
- Make a stock with the water, onion, carrot, celery, leek and thyme.
- Poach the chicken breast in the stock liquid for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the stock, strain the liquid and cool, then slice the chicken into cubes.
- Blanche the broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and plunge into ice-cold water to cool. Drain and dry well.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the garlic and onion and fry until soft.
- Add the flour to the fried onion and garlic and mix to a smooth paste. Stir the reserved stock into this and cook until it makes thick, rich sauce. Stir in the cream, herbs and seasoning. Allow to cool.
- Roll enough pastry to 3mm thick and line a 24cm pie tin.
- Mix together the chicken, broccoli and sauce and placethis on the pastry in the pie dish. Sprinkle the feta over this and then roll out the remaining pastry to cover the filling.
- Crimp the edges to bind and let the pie stand for 20 minutes.
- Then bake at 190 C for about 45 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
I usually serve this Chicken Broccoli Pie Recipe with mashed potatoes and maybe a gravy although you don't want to take away from the flavours of the pie filling. If there's any left, the flavours of the chicken pie filling are even better the next day.
Top of Chicken Broccoli Pie Recipe
Chicken Recipe Search
If you can't find what your're looking for, you might want to try our easy-to-use Chicken Recipe Search Box. You
can also use it to find anything else you might want to search for on the wider web.
More Chicken and Broccoli RecipesChinese Chicken with Broccoli and NoodlesChicken Divan
See my tips for buying Chicken
and cooking chicken
Chicken Pie Recipes Mainpage
Back to Chicken Recipes Home Page